Saturday, September 1

A little overwhelmed...but appreciative!

I am one of those people that has trouble saying "No!" I know that there is a polite way to turn people down, but it is still this huge battle with me!
"What if they are mad at me?"
"What if their situation won't be resolved without my help?"
"What if they don't ever ask me for help again?"
"What if they think I am mean?"
"What if...."
"What if..."
"What if..."
So...I say "Yes!" Now, don't get me wrong, I really do like helping people. It is sort of my nature. But as I sit with my overwhelming pile of things to do, I start to realize that saying yes to everything means not being able to fully give my best to those I have said "Yes" to.
So I will slowly and grudgingly learn to say "No." So that I can give more of myself to the ones that I say yes to and mostly for my own sanity!
But let me just say that regardless of the overwhelming to do list, I am so thankful for the opportunities that I have been given! For the things that I have been able to say Yes to, even if that list is a little too big sometimes!

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
loonyhiker said...

(Sorry I found a spelling error which drives me crazy so I deleted and corrected!)
I also had a hard time telling people no and found out the hard way that it is not good for me to do that. I think people respect you more too if you say no to them (which is really weird for me to see). I have perfected a few phrases that help:
I would really love to but now is not a good time for me to do this.
I wish I could but I'm overwhelmed with my other commitments.
Thank you so much for asking me and I'm honored but I'm not able to do this at this time.
Now if you really have a hard time with the no, ALWAYS say one of these:
Let me think about it and I'll get back to you.
Let me talk it over with my husband and I'll let you know. (This will make it easier for you to say no)

mom2triplets04 said...

I so know how you feel. I too have the problem of saying "NO". Can you imagine I have a friend who actually asks me to scrap her photos for her since she has no time? WHAT? I have 3 toddlers and I just make the time why can't she? Of course, I'm such a sucker and love to scrap so I always say okay.

Unknown said...

I, too, have a difficult time saying no. Many times for the same reasons you cited.

Related Posts with Thumbnails